Thursday, April 1, 2010

Alejandro Escovedo at Uptown's Playlist Theatre

What an outstanding WEDnesday night I had  here in Lasalle-Peru, Illinois. I tend to forget about seeing the live perfomances at Uptown's Playlist Theatre.  My second time to see a performance there and I won't miss another. I can think of several musicians that could quiet that room, but Alejandro did it so well, he sent two chicks packing. Can you say hecklers. Not cool, not cool at all. The crowd applauded their departure, early on, thankfully.

I did know that Alejandro came from a very musical background, thanks Ang, but didn't know his niece was Sheila E and 7 out of his 12 siblings are musicians.  A couple have or still do play with Santana. He did quite a bit of storytelling as the night rolled on.  His Real Animal cd, is an musical bio-graphical story of his life.  He mentioned after that cd he was so tired of hearing himself, that the next cd will just ROCK.  I believe he said it comes out in June.

Early in the evening he came out into the crowd, right where we were sitting and told a story about Rosalie and her long lost love. He and his guitar player serenaded us with their song. That was a goosebump moment right there.  So close and no microphones just voice and guitars.  Unfortunately I only have a picture from my phone, but.....I'll never forget it.



One of his last songs before the encore was Castanets and he dedicated it to Anne and Leslie from the Anne Frances Salon. He spent some time with the two of them prior to his show and invited them as his guests. He applauded them for helping clear his voice so that he could sing.  What a great plug for the salon and spa!  Tell em Alejandro sentchya

I need to mention the opening act Megan McCormick, from Nashville. She had a Indie/Alternative feel and entertained us from the moment she started singing.  A terrific voice and sang straight from her heart.  You can look her up at http://www.myspace.com/meganmccormicksmusic
She has been opening for Alejandro for a couple days now and I thought she was a great addition to the evening

.I really feel lucky to have seen last night's show. My husband set up the deal and I have to give him kudos for such an awesome date. Thanks Micheal, you did it a again!




Still Smiling,


xXMusicGypsyXx


  

No comments:

Post a Comment