Friday, February 3, 2012

Who, Where and When 2011 and The Numero Uno

I need to get this off my chest and quick. I do NOT like my computer. It is slow, it is old, it has to go. Note to self, back that business up, it’s in danger of being lost. I can feel it. I need to employ Carbonite, I hear they are the way to go. Right after I’m done with this.

I got to thinking, I wonder if I know how many shows I saw last year. Did I see new ones, did I see some too much, did I earn my “blog” name? So I grabbed a couple calendars and reviewed last years’ blogs. Here are the results. If you saw me at a show, I don’t have, by all means, enlighten me. I’m exercising my memory here.



The Departed, Canopy Club, Urbana, Il. Jan 17
Seth Candan and The Mike McClure Band, The Wormy Dog, Ok City, Jan 28
Mike McClure Acoustic, Grady’s Pub, Yukon, Ok. Jan 29th
Rodney Parker and The Turnpike Troubadours The Wormy Dog, OK City, Jan 29th
Wade Bowen, Joe’s Bar, Chicago, Il. Feb 11th
Mike McClure Band-Otis Campbell’s, Washington, MO Feb 25th
Chris Knight, Off Broadway, St. Louis, MO March 17th
The Departed, The Canopy Club, Urbana, Il April 1st
Shovels and Rope and Hayes Carll, The High Dive, I think, Champaign, Il. April 7th
The Turnpike Troubadours and Jason Boland and the Stragglers, Bradley’s, Champaign, 4-20
Jazz and Blues, The Spotted Cat,  New Orleans, LA May 8-12
Hayes Carll, Ribfest, Chicago, Il. June 12th
Eli Young Band, Joe’s Bar, Chicago June 18th
Red Wanting Blue, Bailey’s Pub, Taylorville, Il. June 24th
red Wanting Blue Windjammer Lounge, Bloomington, IL June 25th
Jonathan Tyler & The Northern Lights, Otis Campbell’s, Washington, MO July 15th
Reckless Kelly, Charlie Robison, Farmington, Il July 16th
Hosty Duo Grady’s Pub, Yukon, OK August 25th
Grady Cross & Bryce & myself on percussion-Grady’s back house-Yukon, OK August 25th
No music playing, per say, but a  fun little visit to  The Farm in Stillwater.
The Turnpike Troubadours, Stoney Larue, No Justice, Jason Boland & The Stragglers &
The Great Divide-Tumbleweed’s Stillwater, Ok Aug 26th
John D Hale Barn Party, Cape Girardeau, I think, Aug 27th
Midnight River Choir and Stoney Larue, Joe’s Bar, Chicago, Il. Oct. 21st
Reckless Kelly, Six Strings, Bloomington, Il. Nov 2
Chris Harley, Sons of Bill and The Departed, Luke’s, Altamont, Il. Nov 17th
Red Wanting Blue, Bailey’s Pub, Taylorville, Il. Nov 18th
Roger Ray and Jason Eady and Back Porch Mary, Old 36, Riverton, Il. Dec 10th
The Damn Quails and The Mike McClure Band, Otis Campbell’s, Washington, MO Dec 16th

I hope I didn't leave any one out, but again remind me, if i did. The trips to Yukon, Stillwater and OK City were pretty phenomenal and New Orleans was great as well.  The Show of the year, in my book, is The Damn Quails and The Mike McClure Band at Otis Campbell's in Washington, Mo. Numero Uno.

And last night I had to miss my first show of the year, thanks to Ole Man Winter. I had it all planned out too. I would leave early enough, around 10:30 a.m., to beat the snow. BUT. It started coming down around 10 and didn’t stop until, well I fell asleep around midnight and it was still coming down. It wasn’t horrible, like 50 inches or anything, just enough to keep me from behind the wheel, as I don’t do well in snow on the highway. I’m a bit of a fraidy cat. My apologies to Old 36, Chris Harley and The Midnight River Choir for having to miss a great show.

I’ve made it to many a show at Old 36 and couldn’t actually believe that in all of last year I was only there once. Strange how fast the year can go sometimes. I’ve had so many fun times at Old 36 and look forward to many more. The first show I ever saw there was in Feb of 07, The Mike McClure Band. I remember it like it was yesterday. My friend and I were both going through some rough times in our lives. Music has always been there for me, when I’m down and out, so you can imagine the impact that night. I didn’t know any of the music. Not a bit of it. The lyric that I remember the most  was “We’re a little off center, off to the left, out in the wilderness, trying to cut a path.”  I was truly moved by this music, once again I allowed the music to heal me. Thank you to The Mike McClure Band for loving what they do and helping people like us along the way. If you would like this experience for yourself, join me at Old 36, in Riverton Il., next Friday night, the 27th.

In my wildest dreams I can’t believe that night has led to all this great “new” music and all of the “terrific” people I’ve met along the way. I was so fortunate to find out about the little gem in Central Illinois that is the Old 36 Inn. My wish for others in this new year is that they can connect with some "new" music the way I have, it’s sure therapeutic. In closing, I just want to remind the lovely Mother Nature to be careful next Friday, cause you can’t keep me from Old 36 two weeks in a row.

Please and Thank you.
xxmusicgypsyxx


FEBRUARY 2012

3rd The Departed- George's Majestic Lounge-Fayetteville, AR
3rd The Damn Quails & Josh Abbott-Joe's Bar-Chicago, Il
4th Stoney LaRue-Off Broadway-St. Louis, MO
4th The Damn Quails-Josh Abbott-The Blue Note-Columbia, MO
4th Cody McCarver-Old 36-Riverton, Il.
9th The Turnpike Troubadours-Snorty Horse-Columbia, MO
9th Bleu Edmondson-Crazytown-Joplin, MO
7th Red Wanting Blue-Schuba's-Chicago, IL
7th Reckless Kelly-George's Majestic Lounge-Fayetteville, AR
8th Red Wanting Blue-Mother's Pub-Ames, IA
9th Turnpike Troubadours-Snorty Horse Saloon-Columbia, MO
9th Ray Wylie Hubbard-George's Majestic Lounge-Fayetteville, AR
10th Bleu Edmonson-Old 36 Inn-Riverton, Il
10th The Damn Quails-Slinger's-Hayes, KS
10th The Turnpike Troubadours-The Woodshed-Leon, Ia
11th The Turnpike Troubadours- Knuckleheads-Kansas City, MO
11th Bleu Edmondson-Uncle Rons-Lincoln, NE
16th Eli Young Band-The Blue Note-Columbia, MO
17th Eli Young Band-The Cotillion-Wichita, KS
17th Stacie Collins-Old 36-Riverton, Il.
22nd Jason Boland and The Stragglers-Snorty Horse Saloon-Columbia, MO
23rd Brandon Jenkins-Crazytown-Joplin, MO
25th Eli Young Band-Joe's Bar-Chicago, Il
26th Eli Young Band-Joe's Bar-Chicago, Il
29th Eli Young Band-The Pageant-St. Louis, MO

MARCH
1st Uncle Lucius-Off Broadway-St. Louis, MO
3rd Jackson Taylor & The Sinners-Old 36-Riverton, Il
7th Randy Rogers Band-The Blue Note-Columbia, MO
8th Randy Rogers Band-Uncle Ron's-Lincoln, NE
9th Randy Rogers Band-Joe's Bar-Chicago, Il
10th Brandon Jenkins-Old 36-Riverton, Il
10th Randy Rogers Band-Granada Theatre-Lawrence, KS
23rd Casey Donahew Band-Joe's Bar-Chicago, Il
24th Logan Mize-Old 36-Riverton, Il.

APRIL
6th Kevin Fowler & Roger Creager-Joe's Bar-Chicago, Il
6th Sunny Ledford-Old 36-Riverton, Il.
20th The Damn Quails & The Mike McClure Band-Old 36-Riverton, Il.
20th The Damn Quails-The Gas Lamp-Des Moines, IA
28th Midnight River Choir-Old 36-Riverton, Il.
29th Ray Wylie Hubbard-Rose Bowl Tavern-Champaign, Il

MAY
17th Jason Boland & The Stragglers-Luke's-Altamont, Il
18th Chris Knight & Jason Boland & The Stragglers-Joe's Bar- Chicago, IL

No comments:

Post a Comment